The Finnish Museum of Lake Fishing, established in 1982 and owned and run by the municipality of Kerimäki, is located downtown Kerimäki. The museum is located in a house named Rauhalinna (The Castle of Peace) and on a fishing estate on the shores of Lake Puruvesi. There are plans to expand the Finnish Museum of Lake Fishing into a national specialist museum.
Rauhalinna was built from 1856 to 1858. It is also known as ”the house of Romu-Heikki”, named after Police Chief Heikki Häyrynen, who lived in it from 1916 to 1943. Häyrynen received his nickname “Romu-Heikki” (“Junk Heikki”) because of his hobby of collecting old items. He also donated items to museums, e.g., to museums in Turku, Savonlinna, Helsinki and Mikkeli.
The Finnish Museum of Lake Fishing has a fairly extensive exhibition discussing Finnish inland fishing (professional seine fishing, leisure fishing and fly fishing). It has displays of fishing equipment, boats and photographs. The oldest artefacts are prehistoric. Fishing has been an important source of nutrition for Finns for thousands of years. The oldest signs of fishing in Finland are from 10,000 years ago. Fishing gear that was used about 5,000 years ago has been found in Kerimäki.
The yard of the fishing estate contains the main building of the Ollila Estate, the equipment storage shed of a seine fisher and storehouses. The main building, which was built in the 19th century, was moved to its current location from Hevossalo Island in 1995. Fishing was already an important livelihood for the people living on the estate in the 16th century. In the beginning of the 19th century, the master of the estate owned, for example, a whole seine, which was rare at that time. The Ollila Estate is representative of a fairly wealthy fishing estate.
The Kerimäki Open-Air Museum is located between Rauhalinna and the fishing estate. The museum grounds have multiple peasant buildings that have been moved there from all over Kerimäki. The main building is from the Saarela Estate in Herttuansaari and its oldest parts date back to the turn of the 18th century. The area contains storehouses, a windmill whose framework dates back to the 1850s, etc.
The museum is close to the great wood church of Kerimäki and municipality services.